OUR “BUY LOCAL” INITIATIVES:We purchase fresh produce, processed foods and canned products from the Good Natured Family Farms Alliance. The Alliance is made up of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) certified suppliers.
The KU Dining Rooftop Garden, located at the Kansas Union, grows many of the herbs and seasonings for all of our campus locations.
Besides fresh produce, KU Dining also purchases many items produced right here in the Midwest:
- Good Natured Family Farms
- Freschetta pizza crusts
- Wheatfield’s breads
- Labella Pasta
- Formosa Bakery
- Jisa Cheese
- Hiland Dairy milks,cheese and ice creams
- Blue Bunny ice cream
- Boyles meats
- Roasterie® coffees
SOME OF OUR ENVIRONMENTAL, SOCIAL
- WE use tray-free service in residential dining centers, which significantly reduces post-consumer waste and water/energy usage.
- WE recycle 145 tons of cardboard, seven tons of steel and six tons of plastics annually.
- WE train our team with “Thinkin’ Green” initiatives. utilize a reusable KU Cup program across campus for hot and cold beverages.
- WE participate in KU Sustainability Day and Earth Day events.
- WE continually research energy-saving, earth-friendly products and equipment as key components in renovation projects.
- WE donate approximately 300 pounds of food waste each week to local farmers and KU student gardens.
- WE have a compost program that diverts over 500 tons of compostable materials from the landfill annually.
- WE donate over 2 tons of coffee grounds to student farm.